Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Texas Sheet Cake


I've never had to keep the house stocked with food suitable for lunches and now that I do I realize the constant challenge.  By myself I can make and eat pretty much anything I find, my lunches for work are never a problem, but supplying Shane's lunch is an entirely different experience.  I feel as though if I don't have a plan, he won't eat and it's true.  I bake a lot, but there wasn't necessarily a sweet available on every day, now there is.  Homemade granola bars are a constant in the freezer, soups can be found there too.  Buns and homemade bread make quick sandwiches and oatmeal makes a fast breakfast.  Fruit must always be on hand for a healthy snack, and no 12 hour long day can go by without something sweet.  We've been going heavy on the cookies, which is always tasty, but I was in the mood for a snacking cake.  More precisely, a cake recipe we had all the ingredients for, because this time I wasn't going to the store.

Texas sheet cake sounded like a great idea and in fact it easily could have been.  I halved the recipe, because the whole recipe suits a family of five better than a family of two.  Unfortunately I didn't like the cake.  I found it very dry, which I suppose I could have alleviated, but more so I found it bland.  I like a slap-you-in-the-face chocolate cake and this was more of a hint of chocolate kind of cake.  I'd also argue that this cake could be a lot prettier if the frosting had drizzled better or the toppings were sprinkled on top instead of sandwiches between the two chocolate layers.  I might try a texas sheet cake again, but I'd use a different recipe.

Baking notes:
-As mentioned I halved the recipe and baked the cake in an 8x8 inch pan.  I checked on the cake at 20 minutes and it was more than done.  Thus, overbaked.
-I used a nice dark chocolate with a higher cocoa content than called for and I think it was better for it.
-The toppings I used were toasted shredded coconut and toasted walnuts.  Pecans would have been best.
-Next time I would glaze the cake, let it set for 5 minutes and then sprinkle the toppings on top.  If they looked like they would fall off I'd press them in a little with my hand. Easy.

The recipe for Texas Sheet Cake is not available online.

30/569

No comments:

Post a Comment