Monday, September 10, 2012

Nectarine and Almond Crisp


I realized my absence of baked summer fruits all season long.  In place of the usual pies, crisps and fools was...nothing.  I've been baking less, but I'm sure you noticed that.  I hope it changes again, I hope baking fills our bellies and warms our homes.  It's always such a trip, of guilt and remorse with me.  But I'm weird! Don't mind me! Instead focus on the fleeting summer all around you for it will be gone in two weeks.  Two weeks before the peaches and nectarines don't show up in the markets.  Two weeks before the mornings are too cold to brave without a coat.  Two weeks before the rains begin.  And two weeks before the cinnamon starts to fly.  Goodbye summer, welcome fall.

This crisp bridges the summer-fall gap perfectly with it's soft juicy nectarines freckled with warm cardamom and ginger.  The fruit is luscious and bright, the crumble is nutty and crisp.  It's all a perfect balance, now quick! get to the store before it's to late!

Baking notes:
-I didn't have apricot preserves, so I used a peach jam preserved in the summer.
-I couldn't find almond paste so instead I added two tablespoons of butter and 1 tsp almond extract to the topping. It worked beautifully.
-The cardamom comes through quite strong in this recipe, if you aren't the biggest fan I would recommend reducing the spice by 1/4 tsp.
-I baked the crisp for 30 minutes at 400 F.  When I went to check on it I saw the almonds starting to burn.  I reduced the oven temperature to 350 F and baked for 5 more minutes.

You can find the recipe for Nectarine and Almond Crisp on the epicurious website.

28/569

No comments:

Post a Comment