Saturday, September 8, 2012

Chai Pots de Creme


You can think of these pots de creme as the sequel to the chocolate pudding of the day before.  I needed more cold and creamy treats to soothe my aching mouth so I turned again to the book.  Feeling more alive later that night I yakked to my dear sister on the phone while I steeped milk, strained custard and baked these.  The process is definitely more involved than a simple pudding, but the results are dessert worthy.  I've indulged in two already, and given their richness I feel eating more would be a little too decadent, even for myself.  The pots de creme are smooth as silk and wonderfully rich.  A beautiful blend of spice would elicit a quiet murmur of appreciation from even the most picky.  They are seriously good.  But be sure to share!

Baking notes:
-I used four Earl Grey tea bags in this recipe.
-I didn't have any whole cloves on hand so I used 1/16 tsp of ground cloves instead, which worked very well.
-I didn't have an orange so I substituted lemon zest instead.
-I baked the custard in one cup mason jars.  Filled 3/4 full the recipe made four jars.
-I find cold cream coats my mouth in a layer of fat I find unappetizing.  Both the baked custard and the whipped cream have the cold fatty layer, so that might not appeal to you either.
-My custard baked perfectly in 30 minutes.

The recipe for Chai Pots de Creme can be found on the epicurious website.

27/569

No comments:

Post a Comment