Thursday, September 13, 2012

Hazelnut Meringue Drops


As you can see, there is clearly nothing meringue-y or drop-y about...well whatever this is.  Instead of light fluffy puffy little clouds with a tiny crisp shell, you get something very different.  I can tell you straight away what went wrong.  One egg white had a little bit of yolk in it.  That's it, that's all it takes, a little (tiny) bit of fat in the swirl of white and your egg whites won't whip.  I had four egg whites sitting in the fridge, sloshing around a bit for my attention every time I opened the fridge.  I decided to use them for this recipe, because frankly I didn't want an egg white omelette.  What do you do with all your leftover whites?  Next time I'm making a frosting, of the swiss buttercream style.  Now that is a good use of whites, do you think?

Baking notes:
-I could tell my whites were not going to whip, but I already had everything ready to go, so I powered on and prayed for a miracle.  Unfortunately it didn't happen, but I'm not that disappointed.
-I followed the recipe exactly, but because the whites didn't whip I just poured it into a pan and places it in the oven.
-I baked the meringue for 35 minutes at 300 F.  When I took it would I could tell it was complete garbage, so I decided to make something crispy and crunchy.  I put the "cookie" back in the oven at 150 F for 1 1/2 hours.  By then it really was crunchy.  We ate part of it broken up and then threw it out.

You can find the recipe for Hazelnut Meringue Drops on the epicurious website.

29/569

No comments:

Post a Comment