Monday, September 24, 2012

Pear and Fig Pie with Hazelnut Crust

I must state, with all sincerity, that this recipe was truly disappointing.  I feel like I've had a bad run lately, with subpar recipes and discouraging outcomes.  It doesn't help in this pie's instance that I'm not a great pie maker.  I have one recipe that works and this is clearly not it.  I don't know if it's my warm hands, but it can't be total inexperience since I've made many, many recipes.  Once again this one disappoints, dry and crunchy, not at all flaky and light.  The nuttiness is there, which is pleasant, but the pears don't shine and the figs feel awkward, like the melding of the flavours never happened.  There is a nice pop of lemon, but it isn't enough to save the pie from it's bland and poorly-textured doom.

I realize post recipe that I messed it up.  The recipe calls for 1 1/2 sticks of butter (3/4 cup) and I put in 3/4 of a stick (1/3 cup).  This of course, would make a huge difference to the overall recipe.  I also noticed that the recipe online has an added 2 Tbsp of ice water added, to make the dough much more workable and cohesive I'm sure.  Drat.  This could have been so much better!

Baking notes:
-As I said, I messed up the crust recipe, be sure I follow the ingredient list properly and your results will be much better.
-I added only about 1/4 cup of sugar rather than 1/2 cup.
-My pears were a little under ripe, I'm sure the filling would be that much better with very ripe and sweet pears.
-I would also say that a little added spice would go a long way to improving this pie.  A little ginger or maybe some finely chopped rosemary.

The recipe for Pear and Fig Pie with Hazelnut Crust can be found on the epicurious website.

33/569

No comments:

Post a Comment