Friday, September 7, 2012

Double Chocolate Pudding


Chocolate pudding is the perfect antidote to tooth extraction, or well anything that requires comfort by the bucketful.  It was the dessert I remember most about my childhood, the treat that most passed my lips.  It was pudding of the box variety of course, what else could it be?  If we are going for pure nostalgia the flavour would be butterscotch instead of chocolate, and had this cookbook had that recipe I most certainly would have used it.  But alas chocolate pudding is a fine prize in any regard and almost made getting all four wisdom teeth pulled worth it.  There was some serious rationing going on yesterday.  And please, given my drug induced haze I would appreciate some leniency with my humble pudding-on-the-lap pictures, any pictures at all seems like a small miracle.

The pudding is velvety and thick, unadorned it coats the tongue just like it should.  It's dark and super flavourful, more so than the boxed type.  You can think of it as an adult's pudding, but I think a non-box initiated child would be as over the moon about it as I am.  I promise you this: my children will know this pudding as well as I knew the little square boxes.  Enjoy a new favourite!

Baking notes:
-I made this recipe exactly as the directed, but on a slow and temperamental stove, so it took a bit longer.
-I specifically used a 70% dark chocolate and it was perfect, though I'm sure nearly any chocolate would be.
-I did not require use of the freezer as stated in the recipe, I left the pudding in the fridge overnight, with saran wrap clinging to the tops of the pudding to avoid the dreaded pudding skin. Belch!

The recipe for Double Chocolate Pudding is available on the epicurious website.

26/569

No comments:

Post a Comment