Thursday, February 23, 2012

Frozen Grand Marnier Torte with Dark Chocolate Crust and Spiced Cranberries


Sometime I justify baking with not wasting ingredients.  More often I've got odds and ends to use up and look for recipes to fit.  In this case I had a liter of whipping cream expiring the day I found it lurking in the back of the fridge.  I found a recipe in the book that sounded like it would work and then realized just how perfectly it did.  I used up two leftover bags of cranberries in the freezer and the remainder of a box of chocolate graham crumbs. I even had one little bottle of Grand Marnier in the cupboard.  Could it get any more right?

Unfortunately for me the recipe just didn't work.  The components didn't jive and the flavours were unbalanced.  This isn't a recipe I would recommend making.

Baking notes:
-The chocolate cookie layer was hard as a rock in the corners where I couldn't get it thin enough.  The chocolate cookie layer didn't pair well with the Grand Marnier or the spiced cranberry sauce.
-I used only 4 Tbsp of Grand Marnier rather than 5.  The orange was still pronounced.  Due to the nature of the recipe the frozen cream layer was a tad icy, but that would be expected since the water molecules would take considerably longer to freeze coming from room temperature.
-I used 3 cups of cranberries, 1/2 cup raspberries and 1 1/2 cups blueberries.  This made the compote sweeter than an all cranberry sauce, which I liked.
-I also reduced the nutmeg and allspice to a 1/2 tsp each in the sauce, which I thought was plenty!  I definitely wouldn't recommend any more, it would be totally overwhelming.

You can find the Frozen Grand Marnier Torte with Dark Chocolate Crust and Spiced Cranberries recipe on the Epicurious website.

6/569

No comments:

Post a Comment