Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Coconut Checkerboard Brownies

The hunt was on for a can of coconut cream.  Armed with a shopping list, a phone and my best manners I scoured the store shelves, traipsing up and down aisles and looking from here to there, before asking a shelf stocker.  They never have any idea. Curses.  It took three stores but I found a can.  When I brought it home and opened it would you guess what I found?  The same solid coconut sitting at the top of every other can of coconut milk.  My advice to myself next time is to use the coconut solids from a regular can of coconut milk (meaning don't shake the can!) and save the time!

These brownies are the cake-y kind, there is no convincing me otherwise.  Since I'm more of a chewy or fudgy brownie girl they weren't my favourite brownie ever, but I did find myself wanting more once they were gone.  My husband on the other hand loved them since he is both a brownie and a coconut guy, I made them especially for him.

Baking notes:
-There is a brownie layer underneath the coconut, so the chocolate is not lost in the strong taste of coconut.
-I followed this recipe exactly as is and it turned out as promised.  It looks impressive, but doesn't require any sophisticated technique.

3/569

1 comment: