Thursday, February 16, 2012

Cranberry Swirl Cheesecake with Cranberry-Raspberry Compote

It was a birthday, a cause for celebration that enabled me to buy $12 worth of cream cheese.  As much as I love cheesecake, it's always been price that holds me back.  My best friend Erin turned twenty-two recently, so I made her a delicious mac and cheese dinner (with a big helping of salad and brussel sprouts, I might add) and this extremely decadent and wonderful cheesecake.  Without exaggeration; it's the type of cheesecake you'd order from a restaurant and rave about to anyone with an ear.  I was completely thrilled with the results, decadent but light and lovely, brightly flavoured with tart winter cranberries and sweet summer raspberries.  It was winter spiced and summer kissed.  To top it all off the cake was beautiful, creamy white cheesecake with pretty red swirls, very pleasing to the eye.  This is the best cheesecake I've had (so far) in my life.

Baking notes:
-Firstly: it's very important that you start the cheesecake the day before you plan to eat it.  It needs to sit and chill properly.
-Be sure you have a big enough water-bath pan to place the 10-inch cheesecake in.  I had to send my husband to the store for a disposable tin roasting pan.  The water-bath is what ensures a moist cheesecake, do not skip.
-I forgot to buy oranges to zest, that were required in the compote.  Instead I used 1/2 tsp orange oil/extract. 
-I did not cool the cranberry puree for six hours in the fridge.  Instead I placed it in the freezer for two hours, stirring occasionally so it did not harden.  Once it was cold and thickened I was able to use it.
-I used graham crackers for the "butter cookies" in the crust.  
-There is a lot of vanilla and cinnamon called for in the recipe.  Unfortunately I believe it was necessary and would advise you not to skimp.


5/569

No comments:

Post a Comment