Saturday, February 11, 2012

Dulce de Leche and Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding


Right off the bat I apologize for the atrocious photography.  We've been a busy pair these past few days, only home when the sun is down.  Luckily for us our hard work has been rewarded with dessert, unfortunately for my photographs it's been at night.  No matter, the bread pudding in question was delicious.  It all started with two unfortunate loaves of dry brioche bread and one can of dulce de leche half price at the store.  Wanting to use these two together I turned to my Dessert cookbook and here is what I found: Dulce de Leche and Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding.  I prepared the recipe with great care, indulging in far to many sweets this week as it were, slowly mixing, stirring and cooking.  In the end the bread pudding came out rather dry, we bought (gasp!) vanilla ice cream to top the pudding which made it much nicer.  The dulce de leche flavour was more or less indiscernible, it came across as sweet more than anything, which was a bit of a disappointment.  Though I wouldn't make this recipe again, I would still encourage you to try it.

Baking notes:
-I didn't have the full amount of cream on hand so I substituted 3/4 cup of cream for milk.
-I didn't have any rum, so I used bourbon.  I also had some bourbon vanilla on hand so I used that as well.
-I increased the chocolate from 3oz to 4oz.  It was an improvement for sure.
-The pudding was a tad dry, but I used a 9x13 inch pan instead of a 7x11 asked for.  Try decreasing the baking time by a few minutes if you use the bigger pan because the layer will be thinner.

You can find the recipe for Dulce de Leche and Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding on the Epicurious website.

4/569

No comments:

Post a Comment