Monday, December 10, 2012

Homemade Marshmallows


Homemade marshmallows are a beast.  Not a year goes by where I don't make at least one batch, often multiple, but as much of a pain in the ass as they are, they are totally worth it.  They are supremely sticky and marshmallow ends up everywhere, but the delicate, springy, soft marshmallows with their weird and wacky flavours melt beautifully into a cup of hot chocolate, which is my favourite way to eat them.  In the summer I stick to vanilla (it goes best with smores), but in the winter I hand out individually packaged hot chocolate with little peppermint marshmallows (I've even been known to make eggnog flavoured marshmallows!).  It's the light peppermint that kills me, it's so festive and decadent, and peppermint and chocolate are two of my favourite things, especially when they are together.

Marshmallows are not hard to make by any means, the trickiest bit is having all the tools on hand to make them.  A candy thermometer is a must, and a stand mixer is mandatory as well.  Other than that, follow directions and keep your fingers off the marshmallows, or you'll have long thin strands of marshmallow all over your kitchen.  (Guilty!)

Baking notes:
-The only thing I did differently was add a 1/2 tsp of peppermint extract along with the vanilla.  Subtle, but noticeable.

The recipe for Homemade Marshmallows can be found on the epicurious website.

53/569

No comments:

Post a Comment