Friday, December 28, 2012

Chocolate Tart with Candied Cranberries



Merry Christmas! The holiday has come and gone, and I hope yours was every bit as magical as you expected. We're not quite done our celebrating, we've got one more family dinner tomorrow night, and it's my favourite: ham!  This dessert here capped off a delicious turkey dinner, unfortunately not so deliciously.  In fact this was a recipe fail.  First of all, I'm sick of cranberries, I feel like there have been an awful lot of them lately. (This is the fifth cranberry recipe from this book in one year).  Secondly, this method of baking the cranberries left them a little bitter.  But that wasn't my least favourite part.  It might be my own fault that I disliked this recipe so much, because even though the recipe specifically stated that no chocolate with a cocoa content higher than 61% was to be used, I thought I knew better.  I subbed out half the chocolate for an 80% dark chocolate and it left the filling very bitter.  I didn't have the creme de cassis (black currant liqueur) called for either, and used an orange liqueur instead.  It was bitter and overpowering, and not very good.  It got left on a lot of plates.  Fail. Not the way I wanted to end a great Christmas meal.

Baking notes:
-I used the wrong type of chocolate and liqueur in the filling.  Next time, follow the directions!
-I bake the cranberries hours before I put them on top of the filling because I was short on time.  I'm not sure what the difference was, maybe some of the berries weren't as candied as they could be.

57/569

The recipe for Chocolate Tart with Candied Cranberries can be found on the epicurious website.

No comments:

Post a Comment