Sunday, June 3, 2012

Warm Jasmine Rice Puddings with Passion Fruit


Hello,
3 months later.

I'm not a great blogger I know, I haven't cooked out of the book in two months!  I have looked in it plenty of times though, if that counts for anything.  Often times I'll crave something from the book, like rice pudding, for example, but the recipe won't be to my tastes, so I find sources elsewhere to accommodate me.  With this rice pudding however, I changed the recipe slightly, so that I'd finally be able to report back to you on another dessert.

Rice Pudding: delicious.  Though this wasn't the best rice pudding I've ever had, it certainly far from the worst.  It was creamy, intoxicating and sweet.  Coconut kisses, vanilla wafts and cinnamon sighs, harmoniously mingling like a couples party in a thick, cozy wood-smoked room.  Maybe not the best for the first of June, but since the weather was grey and passive, pudding and showers prevailed.

Baking notes:
-Firstly, I made a half batch, which always affects cooking times, consistency etc.
-In place of coconut rum I used a spiced rum and didn't drain it from the raisins as the recipe states, instead adding the liquid to the pudding.
-My vanilla beans are old and not as flavourful as they used to be, I added about 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.  Ditto on the cinnamon.
-I added a few extra Tbsp of coconut milk because my rice wasn't cooked enough by the time the liquid cooked out.
-As you can tell I didn't use passionfruit, or the lime for that matter.  (See the comment about accommodating my tastes)
-I did try to get a caramelized crust on top of the pudding, but obviously my broiler wasn't up to the task.  What little solid sugar did form was very, very good.  (Just when will I make the blow torch purchase?)

You can find the Warm Jasmine Rice Puddings with Passion Fruit recipe on the Bon Appetit website.

No comments:

Post a Comment