Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Raspberry-Yogurt Cake

Easter weekend was a whirlwind.  There was my working the whole thing and trying to find time to sleep.  There was glorious sunshine and warm (even hot) temperatures.  We ate outside where the flowers were blooming and the mosquitoes were biting.  I think my face might have burnt my face on a very long training run on Saturday morning.  But the very best part of the weekend was the brunch-for-dinner we had on Sunday night.  I had a few contributions to the meal, but the main one was this cake.  Among the spread of waffles and sausage this cake held it's ground.

I was looking around for a sweet to bake for this "dinner".  I thought about ginger, or lemon or even carrot cake (a personal favorite).  But no, I decided there had to be berries involved this year, which I will directly attribute to the amazing weather we'd been having.  Once that was decided the decision was easy, berries + yogurt = breakfast.  And done.

This cake was wonderful, soft and moist.  I found it pleasantly tart, not too sweet.  It's is a great slice of cake to have with a cup of tea in the afternoon, or a indulgent breakfast in the morning.  The orange was a beautiful bright flavour, but the almond was truly wonderful.  I had a bunch of frozen raspberries that I layered (after I thawed and drained them) on the bottom, covered them with batter and then used fresh quartered strawberries on the top layer.  The strawberries cooked down into sweet gooey spring-y bites.  Now that the weather has turned back into it's dark, grey self, it's the bright spot in my morning, even without a garden and sun hat.

Baking notes:
-I followed the recipe exactly as it instructed, except for the type of berries I used.
-I thawed some of last years raspberries in a strainer, leaving the juices behind.  I dolloped some batter in the very bottom of the bundt pan, added a layer of raspberries (about a cup), dolloped another layer of batter, smoothed it out, tossed about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of quartered strawberries with 2 Tbsp of flour and layered them in and then finished with the remaining batter, smoothing the top nicely.
-My cake took only one hour to bake, watch that you don't overcook it.
-To get the slightly sticky cake out of the pan I took a skewer and pushed it down the sides jiggling it loose all the way around, but carefully so it didn't tear the cake.  The same for the inside tube.  (Be careful!)

The recipe for Raspberry-Yogurt Cake can be found on the epicurious website.

73/569

No comments:

Post a Comment