Monday, April 22, 2013

Coconut Macaroon Bars

We had some car trouble that started late last night.  It was 10:35 and I was on my way to work.  I put the key in the ignition and turned it, the engine turned over once and it died out.  Each subsequent turn was weaker, until finally nothing happened.  I went back inside to wake Shane.  He came out heard it once and declared it a loss for the night, it was to late to do anything.  I, being as awesome as I am, had a breakdown complete with sobbing uncontrollably and a few "tell me what to dooooooo's".  Ten minutes before my shift was to start I called in, saying I couldn't come.  I felt awful.

This morning, still in her pajamas, my landlady gave me a jump and I drove up the hill to our mechanic (her dad).  He confirmed that our battery was shot and after I bought a new one, he installed it for me (and sent me home with some moose steaks).  After all those shenanigans I owed a lot of people a thank-you.  So I baked my favourite chocolate chip cookies and these delicious coconut macaroon bars.  I made my rounds dropping these off, for my landlord, our mechanic, Shane and when I go to work tonight, the last of them will be for my co-workers whom I so royally screwed over last night.  Sorry and thank you!

Baking notes:
-The bars are light and crisp, with a nice crunch from the coconut on top. The center is gooey and very sweet. The chocolate and the raspberry add something unique and make the flavour a little more special. They're so simple to make, I'll definitely bake these again.
-To the crust I added about one extra tablespoon of cream.
-In the coconut batter I used 9oz of coconut instead of 7oz.
-Between the bar and the coconut layer I spread 1/3 cup of raspberry jam over half and sprinkled chocolate chips over the other half. Then dumped the coconut on top and baked it. (They're both amazingly delicious)
-I only baked the bars for 20 minutes because they were getting quite dark, but this left the filling softer than it was supposed to be (it was still set).
-I am really glad I used a tin foil sling instead of only buttering the pan.  The bars are quite fragile and would have been very frustrating to get out otherwise.

The recipe for Coconut Macaroon Bars can be found on the epicurious website.

76/569

No comments:

Post a Comment