Thursday, January 3, 2013

Dark Chocolate and Peppermint Whipped Cream Tart

Happy New Year! This isn't technically the first thing I baked this year, it's the last thing I baked last year.  But it's good enough I'd make it again this year! As with most people in our crazy part of the world, it's that time of year where we clean up our eating after weeks of gluttony.  It's nothing too drastic (we have an awesome fondue and chocolate cake date just next week), but sweets aren't on the menu for a short time, while we balance out.  This was the second dessert I made for our last Christmas dinner, and by far my favourite.  While I found the apple strudel I made a little underwhelming, this dessert had me going back for more and more.  The tart shell was crisp and light, the chocolate cream was decadent and flavourful and the crushed candy canes added the perfect crunch and flavour.  I could have eaten this for days if it weren't for that blasted New Years diet.  I'll be making this one for years to come!

Baking notes:
-The whipped cream layer I reduced by more than half.  Instead of 3.5 cups of whipped cream I used 1.5 and reduced the other ingredients by roughly half.  This was still more than enough whipped cream.
-My whipped cream topping was downright ugly, especially compared with the loveliness of the picture on the epicurious website.  But no matter, it tasted wonderful.

The recipe for Dark Chocolate and Peppermint Whipped Cream Tart can be found on the epicurious website.

59/569

No comments:

Post a Comment