Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Macaroons

It's the dead of winter, where nothing seems to grow.  The only thing alive is the ever present falling rain, even the sky cries for us.  When it's been cold and dark for far too long I dream of warmer places.  My garden in June, the lake in July, and in particularly cold moments I remember the superheated Okanagan in August.  We've got a trip planned to a sunny warm place in March, and in the long five weeks before that I've got plenty of dreaming to do. To remind us of tropical locations there is coconut, warm toasty coconut.  These cookies hit the spot, absolutely every person who tried them, loved them.  They were a huge hit, and not one cookie survived.  I'd say these are one of my favourite cookies ever!  They're crunchy on the outside and softer on the inside, they're perfectly toasted and sweet.  My favourite part though, is the chocolate layer on the bottom, how it rounds out the cookies perfectly. These cookies hit the happy notes in my brain.  Ding! Ding!

Baking notes:
-I toasted the coconut for 8 minutes, 4 minutes less than asked for, and I stirred it three times.  Even after all that, I still had to pick out a few burnt strands of coconut.
-The cookies didn't stay together that well while I was putting them on the cookie sheet, but they baked up perfectly.
-I had to watch the cookies carefully, they only needed about 12 minutes, instead of 14.

The recipe for Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Macaroons can't be found online.

64/569

No comments:

Post a Comment