Friday, November 2, 2012

Sweet Almond 'Biscotti'

I did it again, I bought almond paste.  Almost every time I see it I buy it, and almost every time it goes hard before I get around to using it.  Shane called me out this time, while it was still in my basket and I vowed to use it before I had to throw it out.  There are a few recipes in the book that contain almond paste, and this is probably the easiest.  I whipped up the cookie batter in 6 minutes, literally.  It was very, very simple.  While it baked the house quickly filled with the smell of sugar and toasty almonds and after it cooled I sliced it into cute little cookies.  They are absolutely perfect for a morning coffee or an afternoon pick me up.  They're not to sweet, and perfectly nutty.  They're not exactly a biscotti, no, much softer than that.  Crunchy from the crust and the nuts and soft on the inside.  And biscotti actually means twice baked, and these are only baked once. Regardless, they're a simple and sophisticated cookie.  Enjoy.

Baking notes:
-I definitely thought these were going to be flat flavoured without so much as a drop of vanilla.  But I was pleasantly surprised and how good they are.
-I made a 2/3 recipe, because I only had 4 oz of almond paste instead of 6 oz.  The only unpleasant part was the dividing of an egg into 3 parts.
-I baked the biscotti for 32 minutes instead of the 40 called for, it was already a little overdone.

45/469

The recipe for Sweet Almond 'Biscotti' can't be found online.

No comments:

Post a Comment