Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Lime Snowball Cookies

Okay, so lime snowball cookies for my sixth week of Christmas cookies.  It was a toss up of cookies vs. bars.  Cookies, being more radically different than last week's post, won.  I've made plenty a mexican wedding cookie, or russian tea cake, or whatever you like to call them, for the past few christmases and this was a welcome change.  It's a lot like a shortbread being crumbly and crunchy, but smooth and sweet all together.  Okay, so it might actually be a shortbread cookie with it's 1-2-3 sugar - butter - flour ratio, but they're good.  Then after all that butter and sugar goodness is a tonne of lime.  Lime! It makes this zest and bright with total in-your-face citrus.  I gave them all away and everyone loved them! Grandparent, co-workers, friends.  A few people even asked for the recipe.  Less than 24 hours later, they're all gone.  Great!

Baking notes:
-I did not have the lime oil, nor could I find it at my local store.  Instead I put in two tsp of lime zest and omitted the oil.  Worked fine.
-I weighed the cookies for consistent baking.  The first batch I did at 12 grams per cookie, but they were a little too small. So the next tray had 15 gram cookies on it.  They baked up better
-I baked the 12 gram cookies for 13 minutes, but they were underdone and burning at the same time.  The 15 gram cookies I baked a little lower for 20 minutes and they were perfect.

46/569

The recipe for Lime Snowball Cookies can be found on the epicurious website.

No comments:

Post a Comment