Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Caramel-Pecan Black Bottom Pie


This isn't exactly what I had in mind when I was looking for a pecan pie recipes for Thanksgiving dinner.  I was thinking classic pecan pie with a twist, chocolate.  You know, black bottom?  Well this isn't a bad substitute. I love pudding pies, and I love caramel, so basically this is gold.  One failed pie crust, two custard layers and a thick caramel pecan topping equals something very close to perfect.

Chalk one up for the pie gods, Alyssa fails again.  There were tears this time, actual tears.  Shane joked that he couldn't keep up with them, as he tried to mop them off my face.  I hate you pie. I hate you.  There was no crispy-flaky pie crust here, just a thin crunchy bottom.  The custard layers were a perfect consistency and had wonderful flavour.  As a bonus the recipe is one custard recipe divided into two, so less mess (i.e. dishes)!  The bottom later is chocolate, which has a nice balanced flavour and the second layer is whiskey.  Like, boom. Booze.  Gotta love it!  Finally it's topped with a toasted pecan and caramel sauce.  Dark, sweet and toasty, oh and perfectly (not) runny.

So no, not a classic, but something entirely different.

Baking notes:
-I wish I could say the pie crust was a good recipe, but I couldn't manage it.  Maybe you can?  The dough was too processed and the butter chunks non-existent after I followed the direction "process until large moist clumps form".  After that it turned into something more like a tart dough.
-I used a poor quality () semi-sweet chocolate.  The flavour was fine, but could have been better.
-The recipe calls for brandy in the second custard layer, but I don't have that in my liquor cabinet and besides, whiskey and pecans go so well together.  I used Jack Daniels.
-I don't know why it asks for that second measure of cornstarch (1/4 tsp). I just left it out.

The recipe for Caramel-Pecan Black Bottom Pie can be found on the epicurious website.

49/569

No comments:

Post a Comment