Saturday, October 27, 2012

Halloween Candy Cake


So it's birthday season again, the part of our year when things get crazy.  Crazy in the best way possible of course.  Thanksgiving starts it off every year, then a birthday (that was Thursday), Halloween, three more birthdays, Christmas, New Years and two more birthdays, Valentine's day, another birthday and then things are finally over.  I love it each and every time.  We have something to celebrate every second week from now until March (and then the blues hit hard).  Luckily that means you can count on a lot of cakes and big desserts between now and then.  My pocket book will be crying before the end of all this, and maybe the sugar detox I was talking about the other day makes more sense now.   Get ready, it's celebration time!

Heather, who turned 17 on Thursday, got to pick her cake from a list of 132.  It was simple for her though, she saw the word Halloween and decided immediately.  (The girl loves Halloween, what can I say?)  It's perfect timing of course, little packages of candy are abundant in the stores right now, though with all the varieties of chocolate around you'd wonder why I couldn't find butterfingers for the life of me!  This cake is peanut heavy, which was perfect for us, we all love our peanut butter and could eat it forever.  There are Reese's peanut butter cups, Reese's pieces and Oh Henry's inside the cake.  Sugar overload? I think so.


Baking notes:
-I thought the actual cake was kinda weird.  6 eggs, 2 yolks and ground peanuts?  That's hardly a cake.  But I made it as directed and it worked alright.  You could feel the peanut-y crunch with every bite.  I only baked the cakes for 15 minutes instead of 20, and I still found them a little dry.
-I assembled the cake at home, wrapped it up and refrigerated it.  On the long drive to our destination the cake actually flipped over, but it was oddly unaffected.  I whipped the cream and decorated the cake just before we ate it.
-The layers were like this: peanut cake, peanut butter frosting, chopped peanut butter cups x4.  Then whip cream covering the cake, chopped peanuts on the sides and the reese's pieces and oh henrys for decoration.  Wow!

The recipe for Halloween Candy Cake can not be found online.

43/569

No comments:

Post a Comment