Thursday, October 25, 2012

Brown Butter and Peanut Brittle Ice Cream


Wow! We're burning through the book!  This is the forty-second recipe to come out of the kitchen, and what fun it's been!  It's about to slow down though, to a steady once a week for the 12 weeks of Christmas cookies series (with the exception of three upcoming birthday cakes).  I've decided in an attempt at pre-holiday sanity, that my body needs less sugar for the time being.  So I give you this recipe, the last sweet to come out of the kitchen before the big detox, (that I sent straight to my mother's house, where my brother went ga-ga) which was fan-freakin'-tastic!  With just one bite it was listed under faves, and the recipe tossed into my mental make again pile.  I suggest you get cracking on this recipe, you won't regret it!

Baking notes:
-My only complaint about the recipe is the gritty texture the brown butter leaves on your tongue.  It's a worthwhile compromise, and only the separated butter solids, but not perfect.
-I scrapped out and steeped a vanilla bean instead of the vanilla extract called for.  Bonus flavour points!
-I couldn't find peanut brittle for the life of me, so I made my own.  I adapted this recipe by subbing out sesame seeds and adding chopped peanuts, and leaving out the nutmeg.  It was nice to make the brittle without corn syrup.

The recipe for Brown Butter and Peanut Brittle Ice Cream can be found on the epicurious website.

42/569

No comments:

Post a Comment