Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Cottage Cheese Rugelach with Walnuts

Week four, week four! How did that happen?  I left Shane a note on top of the cookie jar before he came home, it read "Eat as many as you want."  He read it as "Eat all of these in one night."  When I came home there were 14 less cookies in the jar. (I counted)  Seriously?  He must have loved them.  I know I did. (I ate one).  I've made rugelach before, but it's never been as great as I hope.  Usually the sugar is overcooked on the bottom and it's too hard for these teeth, or the pastry is too dry.  This time the cottage cheese kept it moist (and simple!).  There is a little crunch when you bite in and then a lot of nutty - caramelized sweetness, nothing remotely dry or over cooked.  Decadent, flaky and sweet.  These will be my new standard rugelach recipe.  Stoked!

Baking notes:
-I did everything exactly as outlined except: I used butter instead of margarine.  That was a given.  Please Bon Appetit, what were you thinking?!
-I baked the cookies for a little less time (about 2-3 minutes) and they came out perfectly.

The recipe for Cottage Cheese Rugelach with Walnuts can be found on the epicurious website.

41/569

No comments:

Post a Comment