Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Honey-Roasted Peach Croustade with Almonds and Honey-Sweetened Greek Yogurt


Peach squirted between my fingers as I tried to separate flesh from pit.  Cutting the first peaches of the year is always a learning curve.  Peach juice splashed my clean shirt, why do I always remember an apron to late?  I got the technique, cut quarters to the pit, then, diving the knife into the flesh follow the pit around to separate a clean slice.  Peaches are drizzled with honey, could there be a sweeter combination?  I swoon at the thought.

Shane knew a good thing when he smelled it.  I promised him a piece if he helped clean the garage (I even threatened to bring it to work before he could taste it).  And boy did he remind me!  Every ten minutes he was asking to go inside, desperate for a slice.  Eventually I relented, but only because my stomach was starting to stir.  

The dessert is quaint, rustic if you will.  It doesn't get many points for looks, but underneath that frumpy facade is a brilliant croustade.  First you'll see a butter-y rich crust, crisp and golden folded over bright and beautiful honey roasted peaches.  Baked right into the pie are slivered almonds, crunchy and nutty the perfect, and I do mean it, contrast and complement.  The impeccably delicious croustade is topped with a dollop of honey sweetened greek yogurt.    Favourite for sure!

I never brought leftovers into work, as I had intended.  The results were much to good to share, and they didn't know what they were missing anyway.  The two of us polished this dessert off in less than twenty-four hours!
Baking notes:
-I made this recipe exactly as outlined in the recipe.  I baked the peaches before heading off the do errands.  I made dough and left it in the fridge for a few hours before taking it out and warming it until it gave to my rolling pin.  
- Obviously the quality of honey is important here, pick a honey you really like.  
-I didn't find the honey yogurt to be a very important piece of the dessert, I'd probably skip it next time, possibly in favour of a nice whipped cream.


19/569

No comments:

Post a Comment