Sunday, May 12, 2013

Rhubarb-Raspberry Jalousie


Mother's Day 2013 has to go down as the best mother's day so far.  Not for me of course, that's about...well a long way off, but for my mother.  We planned a surprise for my mother, got her out of the house first thing and went gangbusters decorating her back porch patio.  While we sped through assembly I whipped up a delicious brunch for seven and the dish that got the most praise? This rhubarb jam jalousie.  When I saw this dish in the book I thought to myself, it's a perfect brunch food!  It's like a grownup pop tart! The only person who didn't love this dessert? My thirteen year old brother, go figure.  It's crisp and bright, with a superb crunchy crust and a gorgeous rhubarb-apricot-cherry jam filling. It was super easy to put together and a really fun treat for a spring brunch.

Baking notes:
-Instead of a raspberry jam (which was all used up from my pantry) I substituted a cherry-apricot jam from last summer.  It was a bright and super flavourful substitute.
-I only had to bake the pastry for 20 minutes, or it would have started to burn.
-There was a lot of leftover jam (about half), which would be great on toast, or as a topping for ice cream.

The recipe for Rhubarb-Raspberry Jalousie can be found on the epicurious website.

79/569

No comments:

Post a Comment